No matter how large your research budget, you probably wish you had more. Here's my list of ways to save money on qualitative research -- some more obvious than others. You can get a PDF of the full article, with more details on each method, here.
Here's my top 10 ways, in brief:
- Keep a tight focus on objectives
- Reduce the number of participants
- Cut the travel
- Manage the number of markets you touch
- Manage back-room catering demands
- Decide if you need transcripts, video and other goodies
- Work with realistic deadlines
- Remember that the screener is not a survey project
- Consider your written report needs
- Be a valued client, easy to work with
These are times when organizations need insight more than ever to compete, but every
expenditure is under scrutiny. A collaborative approach with a skilled researcher will help you
get more for your research dollars without sacrificing quality of insight.
This piece was published by AMA in their newsletter as "Good to the Last Drop: 10 Ways to Save Money on Qualitative Research". You don't need a subscription to read the article, and there's a nice PDF here.